North America / United States / NY / New York City
#: 79023-en_US / 79023
Senior Counsel – 79023
Legal – USA New York, New York
As a global leader in measurement and information within the Media industry, we provide our clients a precise understanding of the market developments, so that they can make the right decisions that can lead to profitable growth. At Nielsen, we're always innovating to keep pace with emerging market trends and the increasingly diverse, demanding and connected consumer. In 100 countries around the world, Nielsen provides clients with the most complete understanding of what consumers watch and buy.
For our US Legal team we are looking for a Senior Counsel, whose primary focus will be on Data Privacy law.
Nielsen Media is seeking an experienced privacy attorney to join its Legal Privacy Team, based in New York, NY (other locations considered). The Senior Counsel – Privacy will work as part of a team of global privacy and data protection professionals to ensure privacy and data protection compliance while enabling business innovation. The position will report to the Chief Privacy Officer.
- Support Nielsen commercial business units and corporate functions to provide practical advice relating to collection, use and processing of personal information to support Nielsen’s strategic goals and manage privacy compliance and risk.
- Identify business requirements resulting from new and evolving global privacy laws and regulations.
- Collaborate with colleagues in Nielsen Legal, Compliance, CyberSecurity, HR, Government Relations and the businesses on enterprise-wide matters impacting privacy, and to continually enhance and manage Nielsen’s global privacy compliance framework.
- Analyze existing and developing products and solutions, including traditional market research panels and new products involving emerging technologies to identify risks and ensure compliance with global privacy and data protection laws, self-regulatory codes (e.g., DAA, NAI), and regulatory guidance.
- Provide privacy assessments of new vendors and business partners.
- Review, draft and negotiate privacy and data protection terms in agreements with customers and vendors. Provide practical, business-oriented contract advice to team members and directly to business clients.
- Counsel on notification and other obligations in connection with security/privacy incidents and incident response programs.
- Draft privacy statements for websites, panels, mobile apps, surveys, and other products and services.
- Develop and provide data protection training and awareness programs/materials.
- Strong knowledge of US and global data protection laws and regulations (including CCPA, GDPR, ePrivacy Directive)
- A minimum of 4 years of privacy and data protection-related legal experience in-house with a global company or combined with a law firm, including counseling business stakeholders and product development teams
- J.D. or the equivalent and Bar admission in good standing
- Experience reviewing and negotiating technology, professional services, cloud, SAAS and/or data license agreements a plus
- The ability to identify, prioritize and resolve issues quickly and effectively
- Sound judgment, excellent problem-solving skills and flexibility to manage multiple matters simultaneously and to work independently
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; team player/collaborator
- Experience with ad tech and/or marketing research preferred
- Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP) accreditation preferred
As the arbiter of truth, Nielsen Global Media fuels the media industry with unbiased, reliable data about what people watch and listen to. To discover what’s true, we measure across all channels and platforms—from podcasts to streaming TV to social media. And when companies and advertisers are armed with the truth, they have a deeper understanding of their audiences and can accelerate growth.
Do you want to move the industry forward with Nielsen? Our people are the driving force. Your thoughts, ideas and expertise can propel us forward. Whether you have fresh thinking around maximizing a new technology or you see a gap in the market, we are here to listen and take action. Our team is made strong by a diversity of thoughts, experiences, skills, and backgrounds. You’ll enjoy working with smart, fun, curious colleagues, who are passionate about their work. Come be part of a team that motivates you to do your best work!
Nielsen is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, protected veteran status or any other protected class.
Job Type: Regular
Primary Location: New York,New York
Secondary Locations: , , ,