North America / United States / IL / Chicago
Technology & Engineering
#: 77741-en_US / 77741
Big Data Engineer – Remote – 77741
Technology and Engineering – USA Chicago, Illinois
At Nielsen, we believe that audience is everything. Counting everyone and ensuring that all voices are seen and heard are at the heart of who we are as a company. This year, we are launching an industry-defining new capability that measures diversity and inclusion in the content world. Does the content we view on television, movies, and streaming services reflect the growing diversity of our world? Are we featuring diverse talent on-screen and behind-the-camera, and are we avoiding stereotypical and problematic roles?
Inclusion Analytics Big Data Engineer
If you are creative and motivated and this mission is meaningful to you, we want individuals like you on our development team. Our team combines data from across Nielsen, including our industry-standard measurement and our industry-leading content metadata. We enrich that data and produce a wealth of metrics and insights that our clients depend on to improve the quality and diversity of their content.
The tools and platforms we use include Spark, Presto, and Airflow. We develop primarily in Python and deploy in AWS. If you’re experienced in these tools, or a keen and a fast learner, we’re excited to talk to you!
Our team is small, diverse, agile, and committed to shipping new capabilities aggressively. You will have the opportunity to develop yourself in areas like big data, cloud computing, data lake architecture, and data orchestration.
- Excited to join a fast-moving team that is creating an industry-changing product
- Team player with flexible, proactive and pragmatic attitude
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in Computer Science (or related field) or proven experience in the field
- The ability to communicate clearly and work independently
- Knowledge of and experience with data engineering best practices
- Experience with (big) data workloads; including handling data quality issues, big data scaling issues, etc.
- Python, SQL, Apache Spark, and Presto are all beneficial
- Knowledge of and experience with AWS (especially S3 and EMR)
- Knowledge of and experience with Git for source code version-control
- Knowledge of and experience with data lakes / data warehousing.
- Knowledge of and experience with column-oriented data storage formats (ORC, Parquet)
- Knowledge of and experience with Airflow
As the arbiter of truth, Nielsen Global Media fuels the media industry with unbiased, reliable data about what people watch and listen to. To discover what’s true, we measure across all channels and platforms—from podcasts to streaming TV to social media. And when companies and advertisers are armed with the truth, they have a deeper understanding of their audiences and can accelerate growth.
Do you want to move the industry forward with Nielsen? Our people are the driving force. Your thoughts, ideas and expertise can propel us forward. Whether you have fresh thinking around maximizing a new technology or you see a gap in the market, we are here to listen and take action. Our team is made strong by a diversity of thoughts, experiences, skills, and backgrounds. You’ll enjoy working with smart, fun, curious colleagues, who are passionate about their work. Come be part of a team that motivates you to do your best work!
Nielsen is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, protected veteran status or any other protected class.
Job Type: Regular
Primary Location: Chicago,Illinois
Secondary Locations: Remote, PA – Pittsburgh, CA – Emeryville,