North America / United States / CA / Emeryville
Technology & Engineering
#: 107901-en_US / 107901
Data Engineer (Open to Remote) – 107901
Technology and Engineering – USA Emeryville, California
Gracenote, a Nielsen Global Media Company is the world’s leading entertainment data and technology company. We power the top music services, consumer electronics companies, automakers, media companies and cable and satellite operators on the planet. At its core, Gracenote helps connect people with the entertainment they love most.
Gracenote Video is helping TV operators and OTT services to reimagine the TV experience from every angle, changing the way viewers connect with, discover, and enjoy their favorite TV shows and movies.
We are presently looking for a Data Engineer to help ingest, process and consolidate video metadata from all around the world.
Tech Stack: Scala, Java, Spark, Python, NoSQL, Cassandra, AWS (Step Functions, Lambda, EventBridge, Lake Formation, Glue)
What You Will Be Doing:
- Design, develop, and maintain end to end data solutions using open source, modern data lake technologies (Spark, Cassandra, Parquet, AWS Services)
- Create and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture
- Proactively identify performance & data quality problems and drive the team to remediate them.
- Advocate architectural and code improvements to the team to improve execution speed and reliability.
- Develop best practices around observability, monitoring, logging and data processing
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using Spark and AWS ‘big data’ technologies.
- Work with stakeholders including the Executive, Product, Data and Design teams to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
- Work with data and analytics experts to strive for greater functionality in our data systems.
- 3+ years of experience in developing data driven software applications
- 3+ years experience in any of these: Java, Scala, Python
- 2+ years development with Apache Spark, Parquet data format, and other big data technologies
- 2+ years using relational database concepts with a working knowledge of SQL, data modeling best principles, and data storage optimizations
- 1+ years of experience in using AWS services especially serverless applications would be a great plus
- Experience with development best practices, including query optimization, version control, code reviews, and documentation
- Golang working experience is a plus
- Working knowledge of message queues, stream processing, and highly scalable data stores
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment
- Experience analyzing data to identify deliverables, gaps and inconsistencies
- Experience with schema design and dimensional data modeling
ABOUT NIELSEN GLOBAL MEDIA
As the arbiter of truth, Nielsen Global Media fuels the media industry with unbiased, reliable data about what people watch and listen to. To discover what’s true, we measure across all channels and platforms—from podcasts to streaming TV to social media. And when companies and advertisers are armed with the truth, they have a deeper understanding of their audiences and can accelerate growth.
Do you want to move the industry forward with Nielsen? Our people are the driving force. Your thoughts, ideas and expertise can propel us forward. Whether you have fresh thinking around maximizing a new technology or you see a gap in the market, we are here to listen and take action. Our team is made strong by a diversity of thoughts, experiences, skills, and backgrounds. You’ll enjoy working with smart, fun, curious colleagues, who are passionate about their work. Come be part of a team that motivates you to do your best work!
Nielsen is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, protected veteran status or any other protected class.
Job Type: Regular
Primary Location: Emeryville,California