North America / United States / MD / Columbia
#: 98765-en_US / 98765
Data Scientist – Core Audio Panel Team – 98765
Data Science – USA Columbia, Maryland
The Data Scientist’s primary responsibilities in the Core Audio Panel department is to maintain service level benchmarks, budgetary models, and methodological improvements for Nielsen’s audio metered panel. In order to exceed audio client expectations and deliver high quality standards, the Data Scientist will work as part of a team to perform many routine and ad hoc functions. These tasks include generating insights from data analysis, forecasting performance and benchmark attainment, developing system enhancements, procedural maintenance, supporting survey methodology enhancements, preparing cost models, and supporting internal and external ad-hoc requests.
What will I do?
- Works as an integral member of the Core Audio Panel team in a time-critical production environment.
- Utilizes tools such as Python, R, Tableau, etc. to perform complex data analysis, develop tools for automating procedures, and create visualizations to deliver insights into survey performance.
- Develops and implements data mining solutions leveraging internal on prem and cloud based storage as well as big data from external sources.
- Develops and implements machine learning solutions to improve sample acquisition and planning processes.
- Conducts tactical or strategic analyses to address business and customer opportunities.
- Develops and implements rate forecast models to be used in a production environment for sample ordering and selection.
- Detects, troubleshoots, and resolves data or system anomalies to support uninterrupted production.
- Responsible for a set of recurring operational tasks, for meeting stringent methodological requirements and meeting the highest of customer expectations.
- Maintains and updates documented departmental procedures, checklists and metrics comprehensively and on a timely basis.
- Queries data from large relational databases for various analyses and/or requests, using SQL.
- Designs tools to better plan, predict and monitor sample performance at the survey and/or market level.
- Serves on various interdepartmental teams seeking to propose, evaluate and implement new initiatives, raise sample rates, and work on other critical projects.
- Implements prevention and detection controls to ensure data integrity.
- Works closely with internal customers and IT personnel to improve current processes and engineer new methods. This includes support with writing new software, testing and end-user requirements.
- May work directly with sample vendors to acquire sample.
Is this for me?
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in mathematics, statistics, engineering, computer science, economics, business or fields that employ rigorous data analysis.
- Strong verbal, presentation, and written skills
- Strong critical thinking and creative problem solving skills
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Proficiency in Python coding including experience with SciPy, NumPy, & Pandas packages
- Knowledge of code repository management and collaboration tools such at Gitlab or Bitbucket
- Familiarity with SQL, Oracle or other relational database software including manipulation of large data sets
- Proficiency in Google Office Apps (Sheets, Docs, Slides, Gmail) and/or MS Office suite (Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Word)
- Familiarity with Tableau, BI, Spotfire or other data visualization software and techniques
- 3+ years’ experience in at least one of the following fields: data science, data analysis, engineering, accounting, business administration/operations, consulting, finance, logistics/supply chain, management information systems, or operations management/research
- Knowledge of Apache Spark ecosystem, Databricks, and AWS
- Knowledge of Atlassian suite of software including Confluence, Jira, Hipchat, Crucible and Fisheye
- Knowledge of statistical tests and procedures such as ANOVA, Chi-squared, Correlation, Regression, Student t-test, and Time Series
- Knowledge of machine learning and data modeling techniques such as Decision Trees, Random Forests, SVM, Neural Networks, Incremental Response Modeling, and Credit Scoring
- Knowledge of survey sampling methodologies and data collection techniques
- Knowledge of process improvement methodologies such as Lean and/or Six Sigma
- Demonstrated success and effectiveness working in a time-critical production environment
As the arbiter of truth, Nielsen Global Media fuels the media industry with unbiased, reliable data about what people watch and listen to. To discover what’s true, we measure across all channels and platforms—from podcasts to streaming TV to social media. And when companies and advertisers are armed with the truth, they have a deeper understanding of their audiences and can accelerate growth.
Do you want to move the industry forward with Nielsen? Our people are the driving force. Your thoughts, ideas and expertise can propel us forward. Whether you have fresh thinking around maximizing a new technology or you see a gap in the market, we are here to listen and take action. Our team is made strong by a diversity of thoughts, experiences, skills, and backgrounds. You’ll enjoy working with smart, fun, curious colleagues, who are passionate about their work. Come be part of a team that motivates you to do your best work!
Nielsen is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, protected veteran status or any other protected class.
Job Type: Regular
Primary Location: Columbia,Maryland
Secondary Locations: IL – Chicago, FL – Tampa – Oldsmar, ,