North America / United States / IL / Chicago
#: 80701-en_US / 80701
Data Scientist – Optimization Specialist – 80701
Data Science – USA Chicago, Illinois
At Nielsen Media we understand the importance of knowing what consumers Watch and Buy. As the world’s largest research organization, Nielsen Media is powered by talented, creative scientists and researchers. Our Global Research & Analytic Development associates come from diverse disciplines that include business, economics, engineering, mathematics, operations research, physics and statistics. These professionals drive innovation and insight through continual ideation, complex analyses and delivery of insights to our clients. Because measurement is at the core of Nielsen Media's business, our products have high visibility and make a direct impact on our clients.
Our team in Chicago has an opportunity available for an Optimization Specialist. The ideal candidate must have expertise in the development of optimization algorithms, modern analytical programming, and optimization algorithms and heuristics. The candidate would also have the capacity to work in an agile development environment alongside software engineers, and a solid foundation in developing solutions for marketing, pricing and/or advertising organizations.
What will I do?
- Create various prototypes for research and development purposes
- Research, design, write and implement optimization approaches and algorithms
- Design and test analytical modules for Nielsen modeling and optimization platforms
- Partner with our Software Engineering department to build best-of-class web-based analytical solutions
- Document and present methodology inside and outside the company
Is this for me?
- Graduate degree in Operations Research, Industrial Engineering, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science or Systems Engineering with focus on optimization methods
- PhD level mathematical optimization coursework
- Experience writing production grade code using scientific computing packages (e.g., R, Apache Spark's Machine Learning Library MLlib, NumPy, Scipy Sklearn)
- Expertise in Python or other modern programming languages
- Expertise in using CPLEX, Gurobi and or Numerical Algorithm Groups solvers
- Expertise in object-oriented programming
- Well-organized and capable of handling multiple mission-critical projects simultaneously while meeting deadlines
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience in Short-release life-cycle (agile processes including scrum)
As the arbiter of truth, Nielsen Global Media fuels the media industry with unbiased, reliable data about what people watch and listen to. To discover what’s true, we measure across all channels and platforms—from podcasts to streaming TV to social media. And when companies and advertisers are armed with the truth, they have a deeper understanding of their audiences and can accelerate growth.
Do you want to move the industry forward with Nielsen? Our people are the driving force. Your thoughts, ideas and expertise can propel us forward. Whether you have fresh thinking around maximizing a new technology or you see a gap in the market, we are here to listen and take action. Our team is made strong by a diversity of thoughts, experiences, skills, and backgrounds. You’ll enjoy working with smart, fun, curious colleagues, who are passionate about their work. Come be part of a team that motivates you to do your best work!
Nielsen is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, protected veteran status or any other protected class.
Job Type: Regular
Primary Location: Chicago,Illinois