North America / United States / CA / Emeryville
#: 88762-en_US / 88762
Director of Engineering, Data Platforms – 88762
Gracenote – USA Emeryville, California
CORE RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLES:
Nielsen and Gracenote (a Nielsen Company) power audience measurement, insights, and experience throughout the world by aggregating and authoring the largest video metadata dataset available.
The Director of Engineering, Data Platforms, position is responsible for executing on the Gracenote unified video data strategy, defining standards, deploying technologies, and implementing content editing, and access tools.
We are looking for an experienced engineering director to oversee our Data Platform teams. Reporting to the VP of Engineering, you will grow highly-focused engineering teams that will define and execute our data vision with precision and speed.
Specifically you will:
- Work with Product, Content and Engineering stakeholders to understand how improved data models and infrastructure can enable more reliable products with a faster time to market
- Lead the data model and platform architecture design, proposing solutions, planning the implementation, and ensuring their timely deployments
- Coach and mentor engineering managers, software engineers and devops engineers to become more effective and autonomous in pursuing the team mission
We are looking for a hands-on manager who is able to balance direct project involvement with the time to grow our team members. This position requires a versatile manager and a great team player who is able to tackle technology problems across the data platform spectrum. The ideal candidate must be a self-starter and motivated to understand and leverage cutting edge technologies that will bring value to the organization. You will play a crucial role in driving software innovations and implementing data governance best practices.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or similar discipline
- 10 years of professional software development experience
- Experience managing teams with 20+ engineers that have deployed and managed complex data platform and pipelines
- Experience managing managers
- Successfully recruited and built teams
- Perfect knowledge of Linux/Unix platforms
- Strong experience with AWS
- Designed and documented data models for complex structured data
- Up to date knowledge of data & software engineering such as data lakes, real time streaming technologies, NoSQL databases, and query engines
- Ability to inspire and lead
- Excellent documentation and communication skills
**Experience designing and building front-end content management systems and tools is a plus.**
As the arbiter of truth, Nielsen Global Media fuels the media industry with unbiased, reliable data about what people watch and listen to. To discover what’s true, we measure across all channels and platforms—from podcasts to streaming TV to social media. And when companies and advertisers are armed with the truth, they have a deeper understanding of their audiences and can accelerate growth.
Do you want to move the industry forward with Nielsen? Our people are the driving force. Your thoughts, ideas and expertise can propel us forward. Whether you have fresh thinking around maximizing a new technology or you see a gap in the market, we are here to listen and take action. Our team is made strong by a diversity of thoughts, experiences, skills, and backgrounds. You’ll enjoy working with smart, fun, curious colleagues, who are passionate about their work. Come be part of a team that motivates you to do your best work!
Nielsen is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, protected veteran status or any other protected class.
Job Type: Regular
Primary Location: Emeryville,California
Secondary Locations: Remote, , ,