North America / United States / IL / Chicago
#: 82123-en_US / 82123
Product Designer, Design Systems (Remote) – 82123
Analytics – USA Chicago, Illinois
We’re looking for a product designer to assist with the creation and ongoing maintenance of Nielsen’s Global Design System, a first for our maturing UX organization. We intend to publish, market, and present our design system as a world-class product with usable and consistent artifacts and guidelines. We are also seeking to provide hands-on support for the Nielsen designers who use this design system.
Ideally, you’re at home thinking in terms of patterns, connections, and relationships. You have experience with design languages, human interface guidelines and are familiar with frameworks, components, and system governance — both from a user’s and creator’s perspectives. Most importantly, you have a deep understanding of what it means to produce tools for others and are excited by collective success.
- Articulate and maintain both central and local variants in visual style, typography, spacing, motion, and interaction models.
- Generate and review visual concepts and directions for on-screen interface elements.
- Enforce and manage accessibility requirements in the design system.
- Assist with collecting, collating, and categorizing various interface patterns from our extensive global product portfolio
- Implement the design system as reusable components (Figma, Axure) used by Brand, Marketing, and Product designers elsewhere in the organization.
- Collaborate with the Design System Lead to build and maintain user documentation.
- Design and define example interaction patterns through documentation and prototypes.
- Ensure conceptual consistency and visual coherence across the design system.
- Work closely with front-end developers to manage the implementation of the design system across the product ecosystem.
- Identify and provide differentiation points for products or experiences that necessitate distinguishing characteristics while maintaining cohesion to the larger Nielsen design philosophy.
- Provide tier-one technical support for the design system to other designers and adjust components as new usage scenarios arise.
- A structured and organized thinker
- Passionate about creating tools for others
- Expert-level confidence with Figma’s component, variant, and auto-layout features
- Excited by building and maintaining utilities
- Able to present during recurring meetings and solicit feedback asynchronously
- Awareness of Web standards and accessibility guidelines
- Affinity for providing primitives and scaling systems
- Familiarity with collaborative documentation tools (ZeroHeight, Notion, and the like)
- Bachelor or Master’s degree
- 5+ years of design experience working in B2B and B2C environments
- Portfolio showing your ability to identify and exemplify whole-cloth UX patterns (not just checkboxes and buttons)
- Experience authoring or contributing to a production design system
- Strong visual design skills
- Excellent written communication skills
- Experience with web app interface development; at minimum, an understanding of React props and hooks
- Experience with Scrum/Agile processes
As the arbiter of truth, Nielsen Global Media fuels the media industry with unbiased, reliable data about what people watch and listen to. To discover what’s true, we measure across all channels and platforms—from podcasts to streaming TV to social media. And when companies and advertisers are armed with the truth, they have a deeper understanding of their audiences and can accelerate growth.
Do you want to move the industry forward with Nielsen? Our people are the driving force. Your thoughts, ideas and expertise can propel us forward. Whether you have fresh thinking around maximizing a new technology or you see a gap in the market, we are here to listen and take action. Our team is made strong by a diversity of thoughts, experiences, skills, and backgrounds. You’ll enjoy working with smart, fun, curious colleagues, who are passionate about their work. Come be part of a team that motivates you to do your best work!
Nielsen is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, protected veteran status or any other protected class.
Job Type: Regular
Primary Location: Chicago,Illinois
Secondary Locations: Remote, , ,
Travel: Yes, 10% of the Time