Asia Pacific / Australia / / Lane Cove
Technology & Engineering
#: 96801-en_US / 96801
Python Developer (12 Month Contract) – 96801
Technology and Engineering – Australia Lane Cove, New South Wales
ABOUT THE ROLE
Plans and performs analysis, development and supports the television rating data delivery systems, processes, and procedures.
- Able to exercise application development expertise in key areas to deliver business optimization by improving or re-engineering application architecture.
- Develop, and maintain, a heightened sense of awareness in terms of business:
- Process Architecture
- Performance Management
- Organizational Structure
- Able to analyze the flow of work within specific systems and make recommendations for relevant modifications.
- Liaise and coordinate with other departments during systems studies for applications, and act as a consultant for development.
- Prepares detailed specifications for large and/or complex system development or modification.
- Establish programming schedules, coordinate activities, oversee and carry out programming activities.
- Analyze specifications to determine design and schedules for program development.
- Write large and/or complex programs, in appropriate languages.
- Check, test and debug programs.
- Direct and carry out ad hoc analysis and validation of production systems and data.
- Prepare documentation covering technical and user information (operational manuals).
- Implement and conduct training sessions relative to the effective use of new or existing systems.
- Identify documentation holes in current systems – establish an appropriate schedule for delivering this documentation.
- Develop procedures, identify and apply tools for quality assurance of software development.
- Offer support, inside and outside of business hours, to the ratings data production environment. This will involve participating in an on-call rotational roster.
- Execute other duties/functions as directed by the Director of Information Services or the Systems Manager.
REQUIREMENTS AND SKILLS
- Commercial experience and solid knowledge of Python language
- Exposure to data processing and modeling
- Exposure in AWS services and application development: Athena, Glue, PySpark
- Knowledge and experience with Linux and bash scripting. Systems Administration exposure.
- Database queries (SQL), development and database design
- Working knowledge of source control such as Git
- Experience with XML.
- Project Management to the constraints of scope, quality, time, and cost.
- Detailed knowledge of established programming procedures and programming languages.
- Detailed knowledge of object-oriented analysis and design.
- Detailed knowledge of software development life cycle.
- Detailed knowledge of current technological developments/trends.
Skills (conceptual, interpersonal):
- Analytical thinking: be able to use analytical thinking when faced with ambiguous problems/issues and construct models or conceptual frameworks for understanding and solving problems
- Lateral thinking: Ask open-ended questions to probe and surface new ideas to create novel ways to solve problems/business issues
- Logical reasoning: ability to use rational thinking to arrive at solutions based on defensible evidence/data at hand.
- Systems thinking: the ability to think strategically on a broader level to identify cause and effect relationships and their impact on business systems
- Describing: the ability to explain complex business issues related to systems in a clear, understandable, and concise manner.
- Questioning: ask questions that help people clarify their own thought processes and uncover the root cause of problems/issues
- Initiative: the ability to work independently and proactively to self-motivate the effective use of time and resources to complete a project.
- Wisdom: ability to enable a solution to emerge based on multiple and diverse perspectives
- Learning orientation: display commitment to continually acquire knowledge and skills in order to improve and progress.
- Results orientation: continually display a predominant concern for doing things better than the established standard of excellence and seek to accomplish critical tasks with measurable results
- Collaborative: willingness to share ideas and information with team members in order to achieve a common goal
ABOUT THE TEAM
Nielsen Media would not function without our Technology teams! We are catalysts for delivery quality, on-time, reliable measurements to clients, and we are cultivators, growing our employees through education, skill-building, and experiences. Around the globe, our Technology teams are relentless in our pursuit of superior analytics, technology, process, and support.
As the arbiter of truth, Nielsen Global Media fuels the media industry with unbiased, reliable data about what people watch and listen to. To discover what’s true, we measure across all channels and platforms—from podcasts to streaming TV to social media. And when companies and advertisers are armed with the truth, they have a deeper understanding of their audiences and can accelerate growth.
Do you want to move the industry forward with Nielsen? Our people are the driving force. Your thoughts, ideas and expertise can propel us forward. Whether you have fresh thinking around maximizing a new technology or you see a gap in the market, we are here to listen and take action. Our team is made strong by a diversity of thoughts, experiences, skills, and backgrounds. You’ll enjoy working with smart, fun, curious colleagues, who are passionate about their work. Come be part of a team that motivates you to do your best work!
Job Type: Temporary
Primary Location: Lane Cove,New South Wales