North America / United States / NY / New York City
#: 86007-en_US / 86007
Senior Data Scientist – Digital and Advanced TV Team – 86007
Data Science – USA New York, New York
What is the role?
Data Science is core to what Nielsen does, and our research projects have high visibility in directly affecting the results of our business and our clients. This Senior Data Scientist role in the Digital & Advanced TV team provides an opportunity to contribute to methodological innovation and pipeline development in the exciting and fast-changing world of media measurement. This is an ideal position to grow as a researcher, contribute to innovative products, and develop subject-matter expertise in digital methodology and cross-platform audience measurement.
What will I do?
- Develop new methodologies to estimate cross-platform audience on digital devices and platforms, leveraging machine learning to combine different types of data from multiple sources
- Evaluate quality and accuracy of estimates derived from these models
- Develop methodologies and processes to continuously track data quality and correct any “noise”
- Develop processes to implement, maintain, and enhance these methodologies in client-facing products
- Act as a liaison and subject matter expert with key internal stakeholders (e.g. application development, engineering, client business partners)
- Stay up to date on industry changes to digital measurement (e.g., new devices and platforms, privacy law updates, changes in browser/app measurement, etc.) and critically assess how it would impact Nielsen measurement.
- Stay informed of new research and developments in the field
- Participate in internal and external knowledge exchanges (conferences, workshops, webinars).
Is this for me?
- This position requires a detail-oriented person who has experience in big data analysis using multiple data sources and statistical research, and who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment.
- The ideal candidate will have some experience with modern approaches to natural language processing (NLP), including BERT, ELMo, word2vec and doc2vec, as well as Bayesian techniques such as LDA.
- Ability to problem-solve, work independently on critical initiatives and see the big picture are keys to success in this position.
- Master’s in computational linguistics, statistics, quantitative social sciences (e.g. Psychology, Sociology, Cognitive Science), economics, operations research, or hard sciences (e.g. engineering, computer science, biology, physics, etc.) with outstanding analytical expertise and strong technical leadership
- OR 3-5 years of work experience focusing on the following:
- Creating, organizing, analyzing, and correcting very large datasets using statistical models
- Proficiency in Python and SQL
- Leading and managing complex projects with multiple stakeholders
- Excellent communication & presentation skills (written and verbal)
- Demonstrated experience working in teams
- Industry knowledge of digital audience/media measurement
- Ability to work independently and solve complex problems
- Experience working with global cross-functional teams of various sizes
- Experience with Data Science tech stack: pandas, pyspark, scikit learn, as well as packages for natural language processing including spaCy, Gensim and/or AllenNLP, etc.
- Experience with data visualization tools (e.g. Matplotlib, Seaborn, ggplot, plotly, Tableau, Spotfire)
- Experience with statistical estimation, classification, and machine learning techniques, including Generalized Linear Models, Regression, Decision Trees, Neural Networks, Variational Inference, as well as sampling and weighting techniques
- Experience working with big data in cloud environments (e.g. Databricks)
- Experience with source control using git
Who am I working with?
The Digital & Advanced TV team within the Data Science Global Media organization focuses on improving and enhancing Nielsen’s highly successful products out in the marketplace for digital & TV advertising and content measurement. As part of this exciting team, this position will focus on developing and implementing new methodologies to measure audience in the evolving online advertising ecosystem, focusing on using techniques from natural language processing to expand Nielsen's measurement capabilities.
As the arbiter of truth, Nielsen Global Media fuels the media industry with unbiased, reliable data about what people watch and listen to. To discover what’s true, we measure across all channels and platforms—from podcasts to streaming TV to social media. And when companies and advertisers are armed with the truth, they have a deeper understanding of their audiences and can accelerate growth.
Do you want to move the industry forward with Nielsen? Our people are the driving force. Your thoughts, ideas and expertise can propel us forward. Whether you have fresh thinking around maximizing a new technology or you see a gap in the market, we are here to listen and take action. Our team is made strong by a diversity of thoughts, experiences, skills, and backgrounds. You’ll enjoy working with smart, fun, curious colleagues, who are passionate about their work. Come be part of a team that motivates you to do your best work!
Nielsen is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, protected veteran status or any other protected class.
Job Type: Regular
Primary Location: New York,New York
Secondary Locations: Remote, , ,