North America / United States / CA / Emeryville
#: 90801-en_US / 90801
Lead Software Engineer – 90801
Gracenote – USA Emeryville, California
Lead Software Engineer, Audio on Demand
Explore and Discover Nielsen! With offices located in over 100 countries, Nielsen is the global leader in independent entertainment measurement, big data analytics, and audience experience.
Gracenote, a Nielsen Company is the leading provider of entertainment metadata and media recognition technology that powers the top TV, music, sports and automotive platforms. Gracenote is one of the largest music metadata databases in the world. We help the biggest names in Music and Automotive power leading-edge user media experiences.
We are looking for a Lead Software Engineer to become part of our Music and Automotive Team based in Gracenote’s Emeryville Office. This team writes software that powers over 250 million state of the art car stereos, home media players, and other entertainment systems for the world’s top automotive and consumer electronics manufacturers.
For this particular role, we are looking for someone to join our team of talented software developers working on our Audio on Demand product line – the world’s most comprehensive podcast data. Gracenote Audio on Demand products deliver a standardized and enriched descriptive dataset, unlocking the ability for podcast and talk radio fans to discover a broader range of personalities and topics than ever before.
If you are passionate about entertainment data and love the challenges of working with dynamic data, this is the position for you!
Tech Stack: AWS technologies (Glue, Step Functions, Lambda, etc.), Python, Go, Redis, Apache Solr, Spark, Elasticsearch, Apigee API Gateway, Git, Jenkins, Grafana
We value candidates who:
- Are creative, passionate, authentic
- Value diversity, inclusion, and representation
- Are passionate about crafting and deploying high-quality, high-performance, and high availability software
- Love backend engineering: data ingestion pipelines and APIs
- Value delighting the end user, while understanding the needs of the immediate customer
TOP REASONS TO WORK FOR US:
- Real influence on entertainment experience for hundreds of millions of people globally
- Open culture where fun, collaboration, health, and happiness are key
- Profitable company, plus the stability and security of a larger parent company
- Fun activities; it is not lost on us that we are in the media and entertainment data business
- A work environment that promotes a healthy work/life balance (unlimited PTO!)
IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL:
- Build and deliver APIs customers use to retrieve entertainment metadata
- Design and build data ingestion pipelines using the latest and greatest technologies
- Create proofs of concept to help guide decision making
- Actively engage in technology & design decision making
- Help to operate and scale our infrastructure in AWS
- Review code and champion best practices across the team
- Troubleshoot, identify root causes, and fix problems in a supportive environment
- Be a valued member of a self-organizing agile team
FOR THIS ROLE WE ARE LOOKING FOR INDIVIDUALS THAT HAVE:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a related technical field
- 5 or more years of professional experience working in a product-driven environment
- Experience with cloud environment and tools (AWS preferred)
- Proficiency in a high level programming language such as: Python, Go, C, C++, C#, Java
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to think outside the box
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and well in teams
- Enthusiasm about entertainment data and solving problems in this space
PREFERRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED:
- Experience developing public APIs
- Experience working with large datasets and ETL processes
- Experience with SQL and other database technologies
- Experience with DevOps tools (Serverless Framework, Terraform)
- Experience setting up continuous integration pipelines
As the arbiter of truth, Nielsen Global Media fuels the media industry with unbiased, reliable data about what people watch and listen to. To discover what’s true, we measure across all channels and platforms—from podcasts to streaming TV to social media. And when companies and advertisers are armed with the truth, they have a deeper understanding of their audiences and can accelerate growth.
Do you want to move the industry forward with Nielsen? Our people are the driving force. Your thoughts, ideas and expertise can propel us forward. Whether you have fresh thinking around maximizing a new technology or you see a gap in the market, we are here to listen and take action. Our team is made strong by a diversity of thoughts, experiences, skills, and backgrounds. You’ll enjoy working with smart, fun, curious colleagues, who are passionate about their work. Come be part of a team that motivates you to do your best work!
Nielsen is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, protected veteran status or any other protected class.
Job Type: Regular
Primary Location: Emeryville,California
Secondary Locations: , , ,