North America / United States / MD / Columbia
#: 99432-en_US / 99432
Sr. Data Engineer – 99432
Data Science – USA Columbia, Maryland
The Data Engineer’s primary responsibility in the Audio Data Science team is to develop creative solutions to support the data and analysis infrastructure and pipeline which underpins the survey quality for all Nielsen Audio survey products. In order to deliver high quality standards, the Data Scientist will work as subject matter expert on a team of analysts to establish, maintain and continuously improve data tools supporting the Audio data science team.
Tasks will include developing system enhancements, procedural and technological documentation, working with cross functional teams to implement solutions into production systems, supporting survey methodology enhancement projects, and supporting client facing data requests.
What will I do?
- Maintain and continuously improve the data infrastructure and analysis framework for the Audio Data Science team
- Transition the data science tech infrastructure away from legacy systems
- Work with cross-functional teams to implement and validate enhanced audience measurement methodologies
- Build and refine data queries from large relational databases/data warehouses/data lakes for various analyses and/or requests
- Utilize tools such as Python, Tableau, AWS, Databricks etc. to independently develop, test and implement high quality custom, modular code to perform complex data analysis, visualizations, and answer client queries
- Maintain and update comprehensive documentation on departmental procedures, checklists and metrics
- Implement prevention and detection controls to ensure data integrity, as well as detect and address quality escapes
- Work closely with internal customers and IT personnel to improve current processes and engineer new methods, frameworks and data pipelines
- Work as an integral member of the Audio Data Science team in a time-critical production environment
- Key tasks include – but are not limited to – data integration, data harmonization, automation, examining large volumes of data, identifying & implementing methodological, process & technology improvements
- Develop and maintain the underlying infrastructure to support forecasting & statistical models, machine learning solutions, big data pipelines (from internal and external sources) used in a production environment
Is this for me?
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in mathematics, statistics, engineering, computer science, economics, business or fields that employ rigorous data analysis
- Must be proficient with Python (and Spark/Scala) to develop sharable software with the appropriate technical documentation
- Experience utilizing Gitlab, Git or similar to manage code development
- Experience utilizing Apache Spark, Databricks & Airflow
- Expertize with Tableau, or other data visualization software and techniques
- Experience in containerization such as Docker and/or Kubernetes
- Expertize in querying large datasets with SQL and of working with Oracle, Netezza, Data Warehouse and Data Lake data structures
- Experience in leveraging CI/CD pipelines
- Experience utilizing cloud computing platforms such as AWS, Azure, etc
- Strong ability to proactively gather information, work independently as well as within an multi disciplinary team
- Strong verbal, presentation, and written skills
- Strong critical thinking and creative problem solving skills
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Proficiency in MS Office suite (Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Word) and/or Google Office Apps (Sheets, Docs, Slides, Gmail)
- Knowledge of machine learning and data modeling techniques such as Time Series, Decision Trees, Random Forests, SVM, Neural Networks, Incremental Response Modeling, and Credit Scoring
- Knowledge of survey sampling methodologies
- Knowledge of statistical tests and procedures such as ANOVA, Chi-squared, Correlation, Regression, etc
As the arbiter of truth, Nielsen Global Media fuels the media industry with unbiased, reliable data about what people watch and listen to. To discover what’s true, we measure across all channels and platforms—from podcasts to streaming TV to social media. And when companies and advertisers are armed with the truth, they have a deeper understanding of their audiences and can accelerate growth.
Do you want to move the industry forward with Nielsen? Our people are the driving force. Your thoughts, ideas and expertise can propel us forward. Whether you have fresh thinking around maximizing a new technology or you see a gap in the market, we are here to listen and take action. Our team is made strong by a diversity of thoughts, experiences, skills, and backgrounds. You’ll enjoy working with smart, fun, curious colleagues, who are passionate about their work. Come be part of a team that motivates you to do your best work!
Nielsen is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, protected veteran status or any other protected class.
Job Type: Regular
Primary Location: Columbia,Maryland
Secondary Locations: Remote, , ,