North America / United States / IL / Chicago
#: 82786-en_US / 82786
Sr. Data Scientist – 82786
Data Science – USA Chicago, Illinois
Nielsen is the largest measurement company in the world with unique measurement technologies, assets, and data that make it one of the most interesting and challenging places for a data scientist to work. We focus on what consumers watch and listen to in many countries around the world.
Data Science is core to what Nielsen does, and our research projects have high visibility in directly affecting the results of our business and our clients. This Senior Data Scientist role in the Digital and Advanced TV team provides an opportunity to contribute to methodological innovation in the exciting and fast-changing world of media measurement. This is an ideal position to grow as a researcher, contribute to innovative products, and develop subject-matter expertise in traditional and digital television methodologies and cross-platform audience measurement.
The Digital and Advanced TV team within the Media Data Science organization focuses on improving and enhancing Nielsen’s highly successful traditional and digital television products out in the marketplace for advertising and content measurement. As part of this exciting team, this position will focus on further developing and scaling our methodologies to measure audiences across platforms (including smart tv’s, or set top boxes), and on evaluating and integrating new data assets and partners into Nielsen’s existing methodologies in order to enhance or expand the data delivered to clients.
What will I do?
- Learn and become an expert in how big data flows through Nielsen systems in order to create reliable data pipelines that will feed into methodology development processes.
- Work with cross-functional teams to implement and validate enhanced audience measurement methodologies.
- Independently write custom Python and SQL code.
- Drive technical solutions to complex business problems. From lightweight automation to designing and building robust/scalable solutions. Strong focus on optimization.
- Key tasks include – but are not limited to – identifying methodological and process improvements, trend analyses, indirect estimation, data integration, automation, generalization, examining large volumes of data, bias reduction, harmonization as well as working with different data sources.
- Pro-actively gather information, as needed, to work independently and with a team.
- Support in detecting and addressing quality escapes.
Is this for me?
- Bachelor’s degree in Statistics, Social Science, Operation Research, Mathematics, or Computer Science with outstanding analytical expertise (Master’s degree preferred)
- 2 to 3 years of experience with one or more of the following: python programming, data manipulation, data integration, weighting, sampling, survey or market research, trend or pattern recognition, statistics, data aggregation techniques, automation, or quality assurance
- Must be proficient with Python, Spark, or Scala to develop sharable software with the appropriate technical documentation
- Must be proficient in SQL and large-scale databases
- Must have ability to manipulate, analyze, interpret large data sources, and tell a story from data through analyses
- Must have ability to work alone and with a team
- Must demonstrate intellectual curiosity and persistence to find answers
- Demonstrate interest in Nielsen methodologies, data collection, platforms, research processes and operations
- Data engineering skills with ability to write efficient code that can be used in production pipelines
- Experience with machine learning techniques
- Experience working with cloud based or big data technologies (e.g. Databricks)
- Experience with data visualization tools (e.g. Tableau, Spotfire)
As the arbiter of truth, Nielsen Global Media fuels the media industry with unbiased, reliable data about what people watch and listen to. To discover what’s true, we measure across all channels and platforms—from podcasts to streaming TV to social media. And when companies and advertisers are armed with the truth, they have a deeper understanding of their audiences and can accelerate growth.
Do you want to move the industry forward with Nielsen? Our people are the driving force. Your thoughts, ideas and expertise can propel us forward. Whether you have fresh thinking around maximizing a new technology or you see a gap in the market, we are here to listen and take action. Our team is made strong by a diversity of thoughts, experiences, skills, and backgrounds. You’ll enjoy working with smart, fun, curious colleagues, who are passionate about their work. Come be part of a team that motivates you to do your best work!
Nielsen is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, protected veteran status or any other protected class.
Job Type: Regular
Primary Location: Chicago,Illinois
Secondary Locations: NY – New York City, , ,