North America / United States / IL / Chicago
#: 90184-en_US / 90184
Sr. Data Scientist – Remote OK – 90184
Data Science – USA Chicago, Illinois
Nielsen is the largest measurement company in the world with unique technologies, assets, and data that make it one of the most interesting and challenging places for a data scientist to work. We focus on measuring total media consumption across all platforms in over 90 countries and counting.
Data Science is core to what Nielsen does and our research projects have high visibility in directly affecting the results of our business and our clients. The Senior Data Scientist role provides an opportunity to contribute to methodological innovation in the exciting and fast changing world of media measurement. This is an ideal position to grow as a researcher, contribute to innovative products, and deploy cutting edge methodologies in audience measurement methodology and integrate big data into existing products.
About the team
The Cross Media team within the Data Science organization focuses on improving and enhancing Nielsen’s highly successful audience measurement products out in the marketplace for advertising and content measurement. As part of this exciting team, this position will focus on developing new methodologies to measure audiences across platforms (including on “connected” or “over the top” devices, smart tv’s, or set top boxes) and on evaluating and integrating new data assets and partners into Nielsen’s existing methodologies in order to enhance or expand the data delivered to clients.
A major focus of this work is total audience representation across demographics. Advertisers do not just need to count audience members. They need to know who is watching. Ensuring all groups are appropriately represented in measurement is core to Nielsen’s value and a key role of this team.
What will I do?
- Learn and become an expert in how big data flows through Nielsen systems in order to create reliable data pipelines that will feed into methodology development processes.
- Work with cross-functional teams to implement and validate enhanced audience measurement methodologies.
- Independently write custom Python and SQL code.
- Develop, implement, enhance, and support large-scale machine learning efforts
- Drive technical solutions to complex business problems – from lightweight automation to designing and building robust/scalable solutions. Strong focus on optimization.
- Key tasks include – but are not limited to – trend analyses, identifying methodological and process improvements, representation/sampling, bias reduction, indirect estimation, data integration, automation, generalization, examining large volumes of data, harmonization, as well as working with different data sources.
- Proactively gather information, as needed, to work independently and with a team.
- Support in detecting and addressing quality escapes.
Is this for me?
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Statistics, Economics, Data Science, or other fields with a strong quantitative programming and analytical background
- Preferred Master’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Statistics, Economics, Data Science, or other fields with a strong quantitative programming and analytical background
- 3-5+ years of professional work experience in data analysis, software development, pipeline management, and/or related disciplines – change order
- Must be proficient with Python, Spark, or Scala to develop sharable software with the appropriate technical documentation.
- High fluency in SQL & large-scale databases
- Must have ability to manipulate, analyze, interpret large data sources, and tell a story from data through analyses
- Experience with machine learning techniques
- Ability to communicate complex results and findings in a clear and concise manner to a wide range of business audiences, both technical and non-technical
- Must have the ability to work alone and with a team
- Must have critical thinking skills necessary to evaluate results in order to make decisions
- Must demonstrate intellectual curiosity and persistence to find answers
- Demonstrate interest in Nielsen methodologies, data collection, platforms, research processes and operations.
- Experience with data visualization tools
- Experience with machine learning techniques
- Experience working with cloud based or big data technologies
- Experience with Apache Airflow
As the arbiter of truth, Nielsen Global Media fuels the media industry with unbiased, reliable data about what people watch and listen to. To discover what’s true, we measure across all channels and platforms—from podcasts to streaming TV to social media. And when companies and advertisers are armed with the truth, they have a deeper understanding of their audiences and can accelerate growth.
Do you want to move the industry forward with Nielsen? Our people are the driving force. Your thoughts, ideas and expertise can propel us forward. Whether you have fresh thinking around maximizing a new technology or you see a gap in the market, we are here to listen and take action. Our team is made strong by a diversity of thoughts, experiences, skills, and backgrounds. You’ll enjoy working with smart, fun, curious colleagues, who are passionate about their work. Come be part of a team that motivates you to do your best work!
Nielsen is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, protected veteran status or any other protected class.
Job Type: Regular
Primary Location: Chicago,Illinois
Secondary Locations: FL – Tampa – Oldsmar, Remote, ,