India’s growing population of Smartphone users now spends more time on entertainment and internet based content than on voice calling and text messages finds the newly formed strategic alliance between Nielsen and Informate Mobile Intelligence.
Created to harness the power of mobile insights and analytics for marketers and the telecom industry, the alliance brings together Nielsen consumer and marketing expertise with Informate’s technology and domain expertise.
Nielsen Informate Mobile Insights, as the alliance is called, revealed in its most recent study of this emerging market that the average Smartphone user spends 2.5 hours a day using their phones with 72% of their time spent on activities such as gaming, entertainment, apps and internet related content. Only 28% of their time is now used for voice calls and text messaging.
“India’s rapidly growing mobile user base presents marketers and businesses with an opportunity to improve the precision with which they reach out to the new Indian consumer. Today, younger Indians for instance, prefer texting and chat over voice communications and understanding this behavior better can define data consumption and customer acquisition strategies for operators and handset providers” said Farshad Family, MD – Media, Nielsen India.
“On-device metering is a pioneering technology that will for the first time give advertisers, content developers and telecom players an insight into how the mobile consumer is evolving. For instance, we now know that 3G users consume significantly more data than 2G users and that Android users download and consume a greater volume of apps. These analytics combined with Nielsen’s expertise in consumer understanding will offer marketers an unmatched view of a powerful new medium” said Kedar Sohoni, President, Informate Mobile Intelligence.
Key Findings by Nielsen Informate Mobile Insights
- Smartphone users in India are using their phones for more than 2.5 hrs per day, of which communication (calls, SMS, emails) accounts for only 28% of usage
- Younger Smartphone users (15-25 yr olds) spend more than 3 hrs per day on their phones and spend 60% of the time on entertainment & browsing e.g., gaming, surfing the net and multimedia
- 68% of 15-24 year olds used a chat app last month as compared to 42% for the 31+ year olds; and
- Data usage for 3G users was close to 44% more than 2G users
- An Android user installs an average of 19 apps in a month compared to 10 apps for a Symbian user
- 84% of Android users played a game in the last month compared to 59% for Symbian users
Nielsen Holdings N.V. (NYSE: NLSN) is a global information and measurement company with leading market positions in marketing and consumer information, television and other media measurement, online intelligence, mobile measurement, trade shows and related properties. Nielsen has a presence in approximately 100 countries, with headquarters in New York, USA and Diemen, the Netherlands. For more information,please visit www.nielsen.com
Informate Mobile Intelligence, an innovative and valuable service provider in the telecom industry, is India’s premier provider of information based on actual mobile usage with the help of its on-device metering technology installed on panelists’ handsets. Informate provides vital insights to telecom operators, handset manufacturers, VAS application developers and advertisers. www.informatemi.com