advanced video advertising privacy statement
The practices described in this Privacy Statement are undertaken by Nielsen in connection with its Audience Measurement and Personalized Advertising Smart TV Services (collectively, the “Services”), which measure and analyze how consumers engage with media, enable Nielsen to offer research insights into consumer viewing behaviors, and provide a system to enhance broadcast TV advertisements with replacement advertisements that are personalized to television viewers.
Please also review the privacy statements of Smart TV manufacturers and other parties whose websites and applications you use on your Smart TV to obtain specific information about the data collected on those websites and applications, and how they use and process data collected.
- Data Collection
- Data Use
- Data Sharing
- Children’s Data
- Data Retention and Security
- Your Rights
- Changes to This Privacy Statement
- Contact Us
Depending on the permissions you grant to us on your Smart TV, Nielsen may collect and use information about you, your television, and your television usage for inclusion in: (i) Nielsen’s Audience Measurement and/or (ii) Personalized Advertising Services, as described in this Privacy Statement.
Participating Smart TV manufacturers include Nielsen’s Automatic Content Recognition (“ACR”) software in televisions, which can recognize certain premium or ad supported content, on-screen content and audio (but cannot recognize or collect information from your own personal content), and Nielsen’s consent management software, which allows viewers to manage their information sharing and use settings. This software enables Nielsen to collect certain personal data (i.e., information that is associated with, can identify or reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer or household), information about your Smart TV (such as device ID, IP address), and your TV viewing information to offer our Services. In particular, we collect the following categories of information:
- Identifiers: These include unique identifiers (such as a unique device ID created by the manufacturer of the Smart TV), internet protocol (IP) addresses, or other similar online and device identifiers.
- Television Information: This includes information such as the television brand and model, firmware version, OS version, usage information such as on-screen programming identifiers and audio levels (0-100, mute on/off), and input Source (HDMI, Tuner, etc.).
- Behavior and preference information: “Behavior data” refers to when or how you do things, such as how frequently you use the TV or other devices connected to it, as well as the start and end time of your television usage. “Preference data” refers to the choices you make, such as the particular programs, channels, videos, video games, or other media you select or view.
- Content data: This may include audio and visual content information. ACR works by collecting audio and video ‘fingerprints’ to allow us to identify commercial information about content consumed on the TV and internet or other similar network activity (e.g., program, video, advertisements, channel, video games, and similar media).
- Demographic information: Nielsen will use your Smart TV’s IP address to determine your general geographic location (i.e., your city and state). Nielsen may also obtain information from third party sources to help us understand audience demographics (such as age and gender) and preferences. Data from these other sources may be used to enhance or calibrate the data collected from our ACR software.
- Derived or inferred data: Inferences drawn from any of the above information to create a profile about you reflecting inferences about your preferences, characteristics, and/or behaviors (such as the number of viewers in a household and their ages, genders, and languages) may also be generated by Nielsen or a service provider acting on our behalf.
With the exception of certain information about your Smart TV (including Device ID, IP address, and device country) and your consent preference history (such as the disclosures you have viewed and the permissions you have granted to us), which are collected by our consent management software and used in order to manage your permissions, the information described above is only collected if you have consented to participate in Nielsen’s Audience Measurement or Personalized Advertising Services. Additionally, non-personal information, such as your Smart TV model and screen size, the channel the TV is tuned to, and the language on the TV, may be collected and used to support contextual advertising, which is the placement of advertisements based on circumstances, such as the channel the TV is tuned to, time of day or day of the week.
We generally cannot identify, and we do not attempt to identify, specific individuals whose data is collected from Smart TVs.
Nielsen’s Audience Measurement. If you choose to participate in Nielsen’s Audience Measurement, information is used to generate our market research reports and insights about television and online viewing, audience trends, and advertising effectiveness. Our research reports and insights help our clients make decisions about what types of programs to show, and when, where and how to advertise their products to consumers. We may also provide data to our clients based upon modelled data, which are projections based on demographic and behavioral characteristics (like gender, age, and TV viewing habits) that look at a sample group of people and predict what people with similar characteristics or preferences are likely to watch or buy.
We use tools and methods to make sure that there is no reasonable possibility of identifying you from the data we provide to our clients. For example, the data we collect is combined with data collected from other participants in our research to produce aggregated reports from which no individual can be uniquely identified. If our reports and insights are not aggregated, we take steps to make sure there is no reasonable possibility of re-identification.
Personalized Advertising. In order to personalize the advertisements you see when watching TV, we use the information we collect to create groups of people, called ‘audience segments,’ who share similar interests. If you consent to Personalized Advertising, your Smart TV will be assigned to one or more of these audience segments based on your TV viewing history and other information, and we enable our clients to provide relevant advertisements that they believe are of interest to such groups. We will not share your personal data or viewing information with our clients, but we will share the descriptions of the audience segments so that our clients can decide which audience segments they would like to have shown their advertisements. Please note that in order to participate in Personalized Advertising, Audience Measurement must also be enabled; by agreeing to Nielsen’s Personalized Advertising Service, you give Nielsen permission to enable Audience Measurement.
Other Uses. In addition to processing information for our Services as described above, we may process your information to:
- Operate and manage our IT and security systems, including to monitor such systems and identify and respond to security events;
- Detect and prevent fraud;
- Conduct research for quality assurance and product, service, and business development purposes, including research and development. This includes data analysis, audits, developing new products, producing predictive models, improving our services, identifying usage trends, and determining the effectiveness of our communications.
- Facilitate the day-to-day operations and financial management of the Nielsen group of companies or any corporate transactions (e.g., re-organization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer, etc);
- Protect the rights, safety, property, or operations of one or more Nielsen entities, you, or others;
- Comply with applicable laws and regulations and establish, exercise, and/or defend the legal rights of one or more Nielsen entities; and
- Respond to requests and communications from law enforcement authorities or other government officials.
In connection with the Services described above, we may share information, including personal data, with the following recipients.
- Companies or individuals we employ or work with to perform certain functions on our behalf, such as system hosting, management, and support; data analysis; data enrichment; data backup; and security and storage services. These service providers are granted access to the information needed to perform their functions, but are prohibited from using such information for any other purpose.
- We may disclose information to third parties if necessary to respond to a request from you.
- We may disclose data to third parties in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets, or stock.
- We may disclose data to third parties when disclosure is required by law or needed to exercise or preserve our legal rights, or to take action regarding potentially illegal activities,
In each case, we will take reasonable steps to ensure that the data is protected as described in this Statement. We do not and will not sell any personal data to third parties for their own commercial use.
We understand the importance of protecting the privacy of children. Our products and services are not designed for or directed at children, and we do not knowingly solicit, collect or maintain personal data from children. We also do not create audience segments directed to children or allow our clients to use data to personalize advertisements directed to children; however, we may infer the presence of children in your household by your behavior and preference data or content data (as described in the Data Collection section) and this inferred data may be used in the creation of audience segments for personalized advertisements directed to adults.
data retention and security
Nielsen uses reasonable organizational, technical and administrative measures to protect the security and confidentiality of data within our control.
We store personal data for as long as needed to provide our Services as described in this Privacy Statement and in accordance with applicable law. We may process and store data in your home country or we may transfer data to another country. Wherever we maintain data, we will apply the terms of this Privacy Statement and any applicable law.Further details relating to the transfers described above and the safeguards used with respect to such transfers can be requested by contacting us at email@example.com.
Nielsen believes that you should have a choice about whether to participate in our Services and share information with us. You may access our consent management tool on your Smart TV at any time to review or update your settings.
Depending on your state (US) of residence, you may have various additional rights with respect to personal data processed under applicable laws. Rights may include one or more of the following:
- To request confirmation as to whether or not your personal data is processed by us
- To access a copy of any data we hold about you and to request it is updated or corrected where it is inaccurate
- To request that personal data about you is deleted (where applicable)
Users that are interested in exercising one or more of the rights described above can submit a request using the form here or by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Nielsen does not discriminate against users who exercise their rights under applicable law.
Only you or an “Authorized Agent” permitted to act on your behalf may submit a request. An “Authorized Agent” means a natural person or a business entity you have authorized to act on your behalf by providing your written permission. Please note, we may deny a request from an Authorized Agent if they do not submit proof that they have been authorized by you to act on your behalf.
Your request must:
- Provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected personal data or an Authorized Agent; and
- Describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it.
Please note that we cannot address your request or provide you with personal data if we cannot verify your identity, your authority to make the request, or confirm the personal data relates to you. Additionally, before Nielsen can provide any personal data that is collected about a household, all members of the household must jointly request access to the personal data and all household members’ identities must be individually verified. To verify your identity, we will seek to match data you provide when you submit your request to any personal data we already maintain.
changes to this privacy statement
Nielsen reserves the right to update and make changes to this Privacy Statement. The date of the last update is reflected at the end of this Privacy Statement. In the event that we intend to process previously collected personal data for new purposes, we will provide updated notice and choice in accordance with applicable law.
This Privacy Statement replaces any other statement, whether written or oral, made to you about our practices with respect to Nielsen’s collection and use of information, including personal data, for the Services.
If you have any comments or questions regarding this Privacy Statement, please contact us.
Nielsen Holdings plc (NYSE: NLSN) is a global performance management company that provides a comprehensive understanding of what consumers Watch and Buy. Nielsen’s Watch segment provides media and advertising clients with Nielsen Total Audience Measurement services across all devices where content, including video, audio and text, is consumed. The Buy segment offers consumer packaged goods manufacturers and retailers the industry’s only global view of retail performance measurement. By integrating information from its Watch and Buy segments and other data sources, Nielsen provides its clients with both world-class measurement as well as analytics that help improve performance. Nielsen, an S&P 500 company, has operations in over 100 countries that cover more than 90% of the world’s population. For more information, visit www.nielsen.com.
This Privacy Statement was last updated October 2020.