Nielsen Television Household Survey
Website Privacy Notice
Effective date: 11/20/2019
Your privacy is important to us. We hope the following Notice will help you understand how Nielsen collects, uses and protects the information that we collect at this website, tvhomes.nielsen.com.
- What information do we collect, and how do we collect it? We collect personal information at this site from you only if you provide it to us voluntarily and knowingly when you complete a survey. Both the user ID and password that you use to enter this site were generated and assigned randomly and are linked in our systems to the household address to which our survey was mailed. The survey itself asks general questions about your household’s television-viewing habits and preferences and for some general demographic information. It also asks you for your telephone number and email address and for you to verify the mailing address that we used to send you the survey.
We automatically receive certain data when you visit this Site, including your internet protocol (IP) address, browser data, data about your device, data collected through cookies, pixel tags, and other similar technologies; the date and time of your visit, operating system and version, web browser type and version, page(s) visited on the Site, data about content viewed on the Site, and webpages visited immediately prior to visiting this Site.
If you use the Contact Us form at the site, you will be asked for your name and your email address.
You are under no obligation to provide us with personal information
- How will we use the information you provide to us? We use personal information about you for the purpose(s) for which it was collected or provided to us (as stated at the point of collection) or otherwise obvious from the context of collection.
We use the unique user ID and password that was mailed to you to allow you to enter the website and complete the survey online. If you give us your telephone number and email address, we will use that information if we decide to contact you by telephone or email for future TV ratings research. We will use the mailing address that you verify if we want to contact you again – possibly in person – about future TV ratings research and to send you money – a thank you gift for completing the survey – if specified.
The information that you submit on the Contact Us form is used only to respond to the inquiry that you generate through that form. We do not sell or rent any personal data collected here at the website or through the survey to any company outside of the Nielsen family of companies.
We use data to administer and manage this Site, communicate with you about this Site, process your requests for information or otherwise to complete a transaction you request or authorize. Data is also used for our internal business purposes, such as corporate transactions, audits, data analysis, to conduct research and analytics about your interaction(s) with us, develop new products, improve existing products and our Site or services, identify usage trends, and determine the effectiveness of our communications. Finally, we use data to protect the rights, safety, property, or operations of Nielsen or our affiliates, you or others, as well as to comply with applicable law and respond to requests and communications from law enforcement authorities or other government officials.
We may disclose personal information in connection with the foregoing to a third party when disclosure is required by law, or desirable to permit us to exercise our legal rights or take action regarding illegal activities or to protect the safety of any person. If all or part of our company is sold, merged, or otherwise transferred to another entity, we may transfer your personal data as part of that transaction.
3. Participation is of course always voluntary. You may contact us if at any time you would like to see the personally identifiable information we hold about you, or to ask us to correct or update this information, or to ask us to delete it, or to stop your participation in this survey or in future TV ratings research.
4. What about children’s personal information? This website is not intended for children under the age of 13 and we do not knowingly collect personal data about children under the age of 13. If we find that we have collected personal data of a child under 13 at this site, we will delete it immediately upon learning about it. If you believe that we have collected – at this site – the personal data of your child under 13, please contact us at 1-800-237-6493.
5. Data security and transfer. We may store the personal details we hold about you for as long as needed for the purposes indicated in this policy, which may be indefinitely. We have in place certain security measures to protect personal data while controlled by us (for example, firewalls and encryption), but the storage and communication of personal data cannot be completely secure.
6. About Nielsen. Nielsen is a global information and media company. Nielsen is active in more than 100 countries, and is located in New York, New York at 85 Broad, New York, New York 10004, USA. For more information, please visit www.nielsen.com.
7. Any questions? Please contact us: You can reach us by calling us toll-free at 800-237-6493 or by using the Contact Us form at this site to send us an email.
8. We may change this Notice. This Notice supersedes and replaces any other statement we may have made to you about our collection and use of personal data at this website. We reserve the right to update and make changes to this Notice and to our practices in handling information, including personal information but we will use your personal information in a manner materially consistent with the privacy notice in effect at the time they were collected. We will not use your personal information in a materially different way unless we first get your permission.
9. Please note that this Privacy Notice applies only to information collected at this website. It does not apply to data that we otherwise collect and it does not apply to websites of other Nielsen businesses, which may be addressed by other privacy policies.