News Center

Command Your Buzz: Understanding How Owned Strategies Drive Impact

Clarifying the role that social media activity plays in the content ecosystem to inform the industry has been top-of-mind for Nielsen Social since Day 1. But not all social activity is the same. Aside from differences across platforms, distinctions between the players that drive social media engagement are also crucial for networks and brands to uncover.

Nielsen’s launch of  new analytics does just that, breaking down social conversation about TV into two buckets:

  • Owned activity, or the buzz generated by official accounts associated with a program or network, and  
  • Organic activity, or the buzz originated by the general viewing audience.

“Networks and advertisers need to understand how social content is resonating with their audiences and whether owned strategies are driving impact,” said Johann Dudley, SVP, Product Leadership, Nielsen Social. “In-depth analysis of owned and organic activity, now available within Social Content Ratings, elevates these performance measures while also quantifying how Twitter content from owned program handles, talent accounts and influential audience members builds program buzz during program airtime and beyond.”

At launch, our enhanced analytics will analyze owned and organic engagement on Twitter, and we plan to incorporate Facebook and Instagram measurement at a later date.

So what does that mean in terms of actual insights?

During a week in March, we saw that close to two-thirds (64%) of program-related Twitter engagement was driven by organic content, while the remaining third (36%) was engagements driven by owned Tweets. This split varied based on program type and series genre. Across program types, sports events tended to have a higher share of organic engagement compared to series.

In all, 33% of Twitter engagements for primetime and late fringe series were driven by owned content, and that varied across genres. More than half of engagements for talk and news programs (53%), stemmed from owned Tweets. Comparing reality, drama, and comedy series programs, owned accounts played a varying role: 21%, 26% and 38% of engagements, respectively.

Benchmarks like these help show how audience engagement behavior differs between types of programs, and can be especially helpful when comparing a specific program with the rest of the pack.

Visibility into what types of content are driving social engagement allows networks to have a deeper understanding of their program-related conversation, analyze audience behavior across programs, and allocate resources accordingly.

As networks continue to invest in social media strategies, we aim to be the most comprehensive and trusted source of measurement, helping you to understand how your investments drive the overall social conversation about television.